A roundtable discussion was convened on 24 November 2017 in Kuala Lumpur to discuss the issue of improving access to life-saving quality cancer treatment in Malaysia through equitable and sustainable solutions.
Organised as a response to increased public concern and attention on cancer, this closed door roundtable discussion brought together stakeholders including cancer specialists, clinicians, parliamentarians, cancer patients and patient advocacy groups.
This policy brief was developed based on the deliberations and debates of that meeting.
- Strengthen government & non-government awareness programmes for early cancer detection & treatment
- Improve & increase healthcare financing
- Reform SOCSO legislation
- Increase awareness, promotion & commitment to integrated cancer care
- Establish a coherent drug price policy
- Standardise the fee structure in all public hospitals & improve regulation of private healthcare fees
- Increase specialist to patient ratio